?

Log in

For Good or For Awesome

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> previous 25 entries

January 3rd, 2008


09:29 pm
UUUUUGGGH I need to add two cents to my amazon order to get free shipping. Suggestions?

Yesterday I met Lance Bass and ASHLEY ANGEL FROM O-TOWN, if your definition of "met" includes one party seeing the other from a distance of several hundred feet, and the other party not being aware of the existence of the first party. They were in a play what I saw, is what I'm trying to say.

Whether ASHLEY ANGEL FROM O-TOWN is indeed completely hairless below the eyebrows (as Clone High would have us believe) was a matter which I was unable to determine, due to the aforementioned several hundred foot distance separating us. SADLY.

(2 comments | Leave a comment)

November 29th, 2007


08:44 pm
I haven't written in a while. BUT I WAS MOVED TO DO SO by the sheer absurdity of the relatively small subsection wikipedia articles that are currently classified under the "spoken articles" tag.

Now, I assume the point of this project is to make wikipedia more accessible to the blind. A noble goal, surely, but the idea itself strikes me as a bit silly, since surely half the fun/point of wikipedia is the linking, which isn't really replicable in spoken form. However, what strikes me as much, much sillier is WHICH articles the lovely people of wikipedia have chosen to vocalize, which range from the bizarre (crushing by elephant, toilets in Japan, exploding whale) to the trivial (Saint Demetrius of Thessaloniki, Bulbasaur, U Can't Touch This) to the naughty (handjob, fuck) to those which were selected clearly to demonstrate the silliness of the project (Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116, which begins "The following article, Albin...") There is an understandable preponderance of silly-sounding words, and, for some reason, every single article even tangentially related to the Mighty Boosh. (Which is how I discovered this odd phenomenon.) EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE. Read by the same person. Clearly, this man has made it his mission in life to spread information such as the fact that Noel Fielding frequently refers to himself as a woman throughout the vision-impaired community. And you know what? I salute him for that.

(1 comment | Leave a comment)

October 28th, 2007


08:53 pm - breaking news: internet actually NOT for porn
Because, interestingly, there are actually about five times as many results on google for "cheese" as there are for "gay porn." And feel free to check that out for yourself if it sounds unbelievable, although then everyone will wonder why you are googling cheese and gay porn, as you are all undoubtedly wondering about me right now. Which I will not be telling you, because there's something to be said for having that air of mystery about oneself. It can be quite attractive.

(3 comments | Leave a comment)

October 21st, 2007


10:38 pm
Sometimes one can choose very strange things to feel self-congratulatory about, I think. Like, this morning, I woke up from a dream that I have been waiting to have for months (finally, FINALLY I've dreamt of having sex with Noel Fielding.... and it was good, too), and I felt very proud of myself. "Well done, Abby," I thought. "Good job dreaming that, there." As if it were some great accomplishment.

I've read quite a lot of booksCollapse )
Tags:

(1 comment | Leave a comment)

October 20th, 2007


02:29 pm
Rachel is awesome. Here is the pop-culture awesomeness which Rachel has informed me of in the past day:

1. Albus Dumbledore was a big old homo. Which doesn't come as a huge surprise, considering all that shit with Grindelwald in book 7.

2. (much more awesome) WE ARE GOING TO SEE THE SPICE GIRLS IN FEBRUARY!!! Fuck yeah.

... can it be February now???

(4 comments | Leave a comment)

October 13th, 2007


03:37 pm
I wonder when the nineties are going to become all "retro" and cool again. What with the upcoming Spice Girls reunion (btw, WHEN U COMING TO NY, SPICE GIRLS?), I think it might be pretty soon. Get ready for babydoll dresses, bright orange shit, frosted hair tips, and big old chunky heels! Actually, don't, because those things are horrible. Except babydoll dresses, they're kinda cute.

Edit: I really talk about clothes a LOT, don't I?

(1 comment | Leave a comment)

October 9th, 2007


05:35 pm - The thing about pointy-toed shoes is...
When you're already a size ten, and then you've got that extra however much added on to the end of your toes, suddenly you find yourself falling off the backs of stairs quite a bit.

(Leave a comment)

October 8th, 2007


05:04 pm - Denial IS just a river in Egypt!
Man, for October, it's really unseasonably, almost unbearably hot. Global warming, why you do this? On the plus side, it prolongs the time during which eating ice cream is even more awesome than it normally is.

I think I may be developing a somewhat ridiculous fascination with one of my housemates

No, let's try that over. I am ABSOLUTELY NOT developing anything resembling a ridiculous fascination with one of my housemates, because first of all he is my HOUSEMATE so that would be very stupid. And second of all because he is just a silly, unmotivated, directionless neo-hippie boy, and if all I want is one of those I can always get one at Hampshire, without all the nasty fallout that would result from I'm not even going to finish this sentence. Because nothing will result, because nothing will happen.

I spent most of Saturday playing King's Quest III. OMG, who remembers King's Quest???? Either I have gotten a lot better at video games or King's Quest VI was almost infinitely harder than King's Quest III, because I beat the latter in less than a day and never managed to beat the former over the course of... probably like 2 years.

(2 comments | Leave a comment)

October 5th, 2007


09:43 pm
OMG why are they making Astroboy into a fucking CG movie???

There is too much computer animation in this world. Bring back hand-drawn 2D shit!

P.S. I moved to New Brunswick. Finally.

(Leave a comment)

September 25th, 2007


06:13 pm
I had a dream I went on a trip to China with Rachel and her family, and Viggo Mortensen, and Simon Pegg, and the singer Mika. Rachel was wearing this really pretty dress and she'd straightened her hair. It looked nice. I have no idea what my subconscious is trying to tell me.
Tags:

(Leave a comment)

September 16th, 2007


09:42 pm
Holy CRAP but the Emmys are boring.

(Leave a comment)

03:21 pm - Gettin my fash-on
You know, I pretend I have my own style and opinions about what's cool and what isn't, but in the end I always give in to the trends, don't I? Wasn't it just a year ago that I was still inveighing passionately against leggings? Yeah, I wear them now. Along with any number of things that I hated when they first came out. And now, I just spent $89 on a pair of skinny jeans, a trend I swore up and down would never work for me, having hips and stuff, like a normal woman. And... ok, my hips did actually get a little bit smaller from all the walking I did this summer, but...

The ONLY reason I bought these jeans is so that I can wear them with the KICKASS white cowboy boots I got a few days ago at a thrift store. KICKASS.




They don't look half bad on, either.

I'm learning how to stencil one's own designs onto t-shirts. I'm gonna start my own fashion-design house. Maison d'Abby. Well, really, only the first part of that was true.

P.S. Anyone looking for a hot new band, Love is All qualifies. Possibly the greatest Swedish indie-punk band featuring a saxophone player ever.
Current Location: not in europe
Current Music: Love is All

(4 comments | Leave a comment)

August 22nd, 2007


10:55 am - Capital I, capital I


It's weird, this song was something I remembered very clearly from my childhood, although it was obviously done in the 70s. I guess Sesame Street used to rerun their little segments. There's something comforting but simultaneously sort of horrific to the lyrics if you think about it, your life's work just scrubbing that I day after day.
Tags:

(4 comments | Leave a comment)

August 21st, 2007


08:01 pm - New Jersey hasn't changed much in the past 2 months
Ah shitnuts, now I'm back in los Estados Unidos (which may or may not be Spanish for THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA) and I have to deal with REAL LIFE again. Which means all sorts of dull and tedious things, like fixing my computer and going to the DMV, as well as dull and tedious but more important things, like finding a place to live and a job for the coming year. I actually just found a bunch of postings on craigslist, so I have several people to call tomorrow about roommate type things. I would think that at least one of them would work out. We'll see.

Hmmm, what else is interesting? Oh yeah, NOTHING now that I am no longer in Europe. But actually it is good to be back.

(1 comment | Leave a comment)

August 15th, 2007


11:39 am - As promised--photoshoot in Bella's front room


This is my look!Collapse )

OMG.
Current Mood: bringing sexyback
Tags: ,

(3 comments | Leave a comment)

August 14th, 2007


07:43 pm - Sun is in the sky, oh why oh why would I want to be anywhere else
Actually, it's incredibly dreary and raining, but I gotta give some love to London. I got a FREE HAIRCUT. I got a super nice chic new haircut and I paid exactly ZERO POUNDS for it. At Toni & Guy. Which is not exactly some hole in the wall place. But they had a sign out front that they needed people for one of their stylists to practice on, because he's going to start teaching how to do this haircut (bob) and he needs to know it really well. So I inquired and I got a FREE HAIRCUT. They also washed my hair (FREE) and blow-dried it out all nice (FREE) and even gave me coffee (FREE). I've missed Paris ever since I left, but this gets some definite points in London's favor.

(Pictures forthcoming.)
Current Location: St. John's Wood, London
Tags:

(2 comments | Leave a comment)

August 7th, 2007


05:55 pm
A BEE STUNG ME!

But it's ok. Life is good!

I'm in London, with Bella and Derek, who are like my amicably divorced surrogate parents (if I wanted to fuck my father, that is, and maybe even my mother a bit too, at times), splitting up the day into "who will entertain Abby in the morning, etc.," because they both have other things to do, of course. I, however, have nothing of any importance to do (besides attempting to stalk Noel Fielding, who for all I know is not even in London at present time), and occasionally they are bad parents who leave me to my own devices, and who knows what sort of irresponsible things I might get up to, like drinking antifreeze (which is what killed Cozy's mother).

Pete Doherty has been BANISHED from London or so the free newspaper says, in its headline. Which makes me very happy. It means I no longer have to wander around St. John's Wood looking for Kate Moss' house to throw eggs at, as was my original plan.

I think I may go have a drink at a pub. But they serve beer warm here, ICK! So in fact I do not know what I will do right now.

(4 comments | Leave a comment)

July 27th, 2007


03:24 pm
Wooooah, been a long time. I'm in Provence with the parents (yay, sort of, for good food and whatnot, but at the same time it's a bit annoying when I'm used to being on my own... they take so long to get going). It's very warm, I'm going swimming a lot at the hotel pool. The women here sunbathe topless, which is... distracting. I finished Harry Potter... there is SO MUCH to talk about. SO MUCH. I finished it last night and I couldn't get to sleep for like 2 hours just thinking about it.

Clubbing with my little brother: y/n? It may happen later tonight.

(6 comments | Leave a comment)

July 17th, 2007


04:22 pm - Because I'd rather not talk about your dead ex-boyfriends over coffee...
I had a good stupid time seeing Harry Potter last night at the largest movie theater I've been to here. I got some atrocious popcorn and some normal-tasting coke and after watching a preview for Stardust (which looks very good, and which, incidentally, Noel Fielding was meant to have a bit part in as one of the dead princes but he couldn't do it because he was "sick" during filming, which you should read as he was too coked out to function, oh Noel, what are we to do with you), I settled in to enjoy the movie in the most superficial way possible.

So, in that vein:
Observations on Order of the Phoenix

1. Although I waxed poetic a while back about all the ways in which I would totally bang Tonks (to wit: daily and nightly and ever so rightly), Bellatrix Lestrange > Nymphadora Tonks. SHE LICKED HER DEATH EATER TATTOO. That was hot.

2. That said, Tonks was adorable.

3. Lee was right. Daniel Radcliffe, for all that he looks about a foot shorter than me, is actually getting kind of hot. I really don't like writing that. It makes me feel like a gross old woman. But at least I don't sneak around the backs of theaters trying to catch a glimpse of his peen unlike some people I could name DEREK.

4. M. Gary Oldman was looking seriously (hahahahapuns) well-dressed. And hot.

5. Umbridge was deliciously sadistic. But I just realized that whole plot is all about what happens when WOMEN usurp power from the MEN (Dumbledore) to whom it rightfully belongs. IT ALL GOES TO SHIT. And then evil WOMEN(Bellatrix) kill good MEN(Sirius) with their evil SEXUALITY, which they also use to seduce more good MEN (Harry) and then BETRAY them and their lofty ideals (Cho).

6. OMG SIRIUS AND REMUS TOTALLY STOOD NEXT TO EACH OTHER AND LOOKED AT EACH OTHER AT SOME POINT OMGOMGDOINGIT.

7. I didn't actually remember most of the plot of Order of the Phoenix, so all I was really familiar with was the songs off of "Voldemort Can't Stop the Rock." And I sang them in my head at all the appropriate moments. (Except for the moments that were left out of the movie, such as Harry and Cho's date on Valentine's Day, which I suppose wasn't at all important but it was a good song.) And I really honestly expected "The Weapon" or "Song for Death Eaters" or something to start playing over the end credits, and was quite dissapointed when it did not.

8. AND ALSO WHEN REMUS WAS SAYING SOME LINE ABOUT LOSING WHAT WAS DEAREST TO HIM THEY CUT TO A SHOT OF SIRIUS WHICH MEANS THEY ARE OBVS IN LOVE LUVLUVLUV AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT EVEN THE FILM EDITOR.

9. I better not start reading Harry Potter fanfic again. Not... that I ever did. Of course not.

(13 comments | Leave a comment)

July 16th, 2007


06:12 pm - Running round Paris, with a tiny haversack
Sometimes I don't know who I'm more sick of, myself or other people.

Well, that's not true. I'm just getting fed up with being alone and fed up with being with the girls on this trip and very unenthusiastic about the idea of trying to meet new people. So I guess it's a good thing that I've only got 5 days left until my parents get here and we start on a whole new adventure.

Things are actually quite good, despite the down note I started this off on. I had Lee here this weekend. We walked around for like 25 minutes talking in Eastern European/ Irish accents. (Not at the same time, switching back and forth.) That was an unusual experience. She's posted a bunch of pics on facebook, if you want to see them. When Derek was here he took even more pictures, but as far as I know they're not posted anywhere. If they were, there would be one of a cat sitting on his lap in a restaurant eating his dessert. It would be there because it happened and I took a picture of it. It was adorable.

Obviously I did other things with both of them. Like tenderly made love to them. No, I did not do that. But whatEVER.
Current Mood: sick of these fools
Tags:

(1 comment | Leave a comment)

July 7th, 2007


10:07 pm
Okay, I have been a very horrible person when it comes to updating this thing. But everything is still going well. Unlike some people on this program, I'm not feeling particularly homesick or annoyed at the city, probably because I didn't have that initial phase of over-the-top enthusiasm for it. ("Oh my God! You could never get Chinese food this good in the states!") Nevertheless, I have gone through some weird moods, which has resulted in excessive going to the movies. Which is far from the worst way one could deal with such a thing, especially if one enjoys films, as I do.

My aunt Laura and cousin Taylor (as well as Laura's sister and her fiance) got into Paris yesterday, so I spent last night and today with them. It was really nice. We did some stuff I'd done already, as well as some stuff I hadn't (such as going to the top of the Eiffel Tower!), and I think they really appreciated having me around to speak French and show them where stuff was. And I really appreciate them buying me meals. And my sunglasses broke and they bought me a new pair! Awesome.

Going to cemetaries one day this week for class, which should be amazing. We've already been to one cemetary, a really small private one where General Lafayette is buried (along with many other important families, and about 1500 victims of the Revolution). It was really cool, I met this 5 year old boy who was the son of the guy who owns the cemetary, he was the sweetest little kid ever! I wanted to kidnap him... but I didn't.

I have Derek coming out here in three days and Lee a bit after that, and I'm really looking forward to seeing both of them and having FUN TIMES... in Paris.
Tags:

(1 comment | Leave a comment)

June 30th, 2007


12:49 am - colors of the world, spice up your lives!
OMG SPICE GIRLS REUNION TOUR!!!

I am so there. Are you with me, people???
Current Music: certaintly not the spice girls
Tags:

(2 comments | Leave a comment)

June 27th, 2007


05:24 pm - En Attendant Falafel: a photo essay
The subject is anticipation (of falafel) in the Marais, home of Jews and queers. Or in other words, a bunch of pictures I took while bored, waiting to get something to eat.Collapse )

(3 comments | Leave a comment)

June 23rd, 2007


08:12 pm - eight year old French boys, and myself
That is, apparently, the demographic to which the museum of arms and armor at the Hotel des Invalides attempts to cater. And I think between the two of us (the eight year old French boys and myself, that is), I was more interested. I find my fascination with weapons somewhat inexplicable, considering I'm a pacifist. I think it's just fetishistic. In the sexual sense. Swords (and other bladed weapons) (and guns) (and so on) are great big phallic symbols, aren't they? It seems that everything I love is a phallus. Freud would have a field day with my penis envy. Anyway, I was basically sword-gasming the whole time. They have so many swords, and I have so few... why can't they give a few to me? It's just cruelty, is what it is.

Speaking of boys and penises, I have lost interest in the guy I wrote about previously. Which is a shame, because we had a really awesome night talking about X-Men and the Decameron and FDR fighting Napoleon with a lightsaber and then singing "A Whole New World" from Aladdin and making out. But now, eh.

Post-museum, I spent most of today just walking around in order to avoid my roommates. Who I don't even dislike, at all. I'm just not used to spending so much time around people. Is that weird? I know it's weird, but is it bad?

P.S. GAFF FORUMS ARE BACK OMG OMG TIME TO GO BE AN INTERNET SHUT-IN.... in Paris.

(Leave a comment)

June 22nd, 2007


03:16 am
Oh man.... I met a guy tonight... yeah.

I like him.

Room 604.
Tags:

(7 comments | Leave a comment)

> previous 25 entries
> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com